Not Quite back Home Yet, …

… and there’s already a lot of work!

Mowing the lawn on Saturday was not really work but more like fun, on my most favourite playtool, our lawn tractor [for more on that, click here: typisch amerikanisch]. I just sit on it and scoot around: no work, really. Only emptying the sacks for the clippings was/is a tad more work. But as this time the grass was really dry, it actually was more like hay, that was not a real problem after all.

But then the work appeared: on Friday the people of Amish Oak in Texas, where – before our holiday – we had ordered new bedroom furniture, had called that they intended to deliver this afternoon. And that meant, since the opportunity of an empty room could not be missed, (re-)painting the floor and the ceiling. We knew we wouldn’t be able to do the walls now as that would be too much work. But that can be done later anyway as it doesn’t require the room to be completely empty.

So on Monday afternoon [we had been to San Antonio on Sunday to get the necessary tools and utensils: sander, sanding paper, paint and paint brushes] I started emptying the room of its furniture, and on Tuesday the work started in earnest: sanding the floor. Well, that didn’t go as quickly as planned as there were too many other issues that needed to be dealt with. And thus I was only able to finish sanding on Wednesday, before applying the first coat of varnish. On Thursday that was dry – and hard – enough to be walked on and to be sanded down again. But first I needed to paint the ceiling as I didn’t know if it might want a second coat and I wanted to be able to do that this morning. And then the fresh paint on the ceiling wanted drying some so that the dust from sanding would not stick to the fresh paint and mar it forever. Sanding the floor a second time proved much more time consuming than I had thought as the floor boards were/are somewhat uneven and thus I needed to take/sand off much more wood than planned. Sanding took me about 6 hours. Painting was relatively fast then, but still I was only done [literally and figuratively] at around 11 p.m. And that’s why I’m having a quiet day today. And giving my butt – which is still complaining about the hard floor – some well-earned rest.

It was good, btw, that the one coat on the ceiling was sufficient as i wouldn’t have had time to do that this morning since the people from Amish Oak were here not in the afternoon but by 10 in the morning.

In the end, though, all the (hard) work was worthwhile because the room looks much better now than it did before. And it will look even better once we have done the walls and window frames, too.

Um diesen Eintrag in Deutsch zu lesen, hier klicken.


I'd really love to hear from y'alls!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s