The article from which the following excerpt was taken appeared yesterday in our regional paper, The Victoria Advocate, as the seventh instalment in a series about the oil-boom we’re at present experiencing here in Karnes County and in other counties sitting atop of the Eagle Ford Shale formation. After I have been talking quite abit about that topic in my blog here, I thought it might be interesting to refer to and quote from the local press. The series is so very informative, with its videos, that I really considered it worth while to make it known here.
“By Dianna Wray – DWRAY@VICAD.COM – Originally published May 26, 2012 at 11:03 p.m., updated May 27, 2012 at 6:49 a.m.
KARNES CITY – Sitting in the bank manager’s office, the man turned to his wife.
“Show it to him, Mama,” he said as they settled into wooden chairs across from Paul Brysch in the Karnes County National Bank.
She nodded, slid an envelope from her purse and handed it to Brysch.
A check for more than $300,000 was inside, the first royalty check from an Eagle Ford Shale well drilled on their property on the edge of Karnes County.
“Congratulations! Y’all must be thrilled!” Brysch said.
“No, no, you don’t understand,” the man said, furrowing his brow. “We’ve never had money like this before. What do we do with it?”
The question has been repeated across the Crossroads since the Eagle Ford Shale play began booming, but nowhere is it more poignant than in Karnes County. These days, the county is a lively place, the epicenter of an oil boom changing the face of South Texas and bringing wealth to people who have struggled and scraped for generations just to keep hold of their land.”
Read the full article here: The Victoria Advocate
- Kenedy man killed in Karnes County crash (mysanantonio.com)
- Oil boom’s gloom: Rough roads, traffic encircle Eagle Ford Shale (kens5.com)
- Eagle Ford Shale’s has had profound impact on Texas (fuelfix.com)
- Deputies: Karnes Co. collision ends in double fatality (kens5.com)
- The Play: Special series examines Eagle Ford Shale oil and gas boom
- Part 1 of special report: Oil and gas development pumps life into South Texas small towns
- Special series “The Play”: Cuero awakens to new shade of green
- Part 3 of Eagle Ford Shale series: Environmental concerns get little play amid oil, gas boom
- Couple’s fight with pipeline company pits Texans’ love of oil vs. love of land
- The Play: Oil-field workers shoot for success during boom times
- Riches or ruins? Lessons from Barnett Shale